DIY: How to Install Single Ended (SE: Loop Top) Synthetic Dreadlocks:
Learn how to do a basic single ended dreadlock install.
Elastic Matrix Thread or Rubber Bands
1. If you are using elastic thread, cut your thread to an appropriate length (cut a bunch and keep it close by - mine are usually about 16 inches).
2. Section off the area for the dread.
3. Pull the natural hair through the loop.
4. Split the natural hair into two.
5. Using the dreadlock and the two natural hair sections, create a three strand braid.
6. Braid until the loose ends can't be tucked into the braid.
7. Hold your thread at the center bend. Wrap it around three times and tie it in place. (This gives you your initial knot - don't worry, the ends still are sticking out and looking hideous at this point.)
8. Leave one side of the thread with the dread and natural hair and the other side of the thread flying solo.
9. Wrap the free thread down and around the the loose hairs for several turns to lock it all down, wrapping past the natural ends.
10. Knot the thread and cut away the ends.
11. Repeat with remaining sections.
1. Cut the elastic thread.
2. Gently loosen thread.
4. Comb out and wash the natural hair.