Making a Dreadloom:
A dreadloom is the perfect tool for creating perfect synthetic and human hair dreadlocks quickly and easily.
Wood - 1" x 4" Size:
2 - 36" Length
3 - 24" Length
Stain & Polyurethane & Paint Brushes (optional)
2" Industrial Strength Velcro x 48"
31" Length Wood Slat or 1 Inch x 1/8" Aluminum Bar
Corner brackets (4)
L Brackets/Flat Brackets (4)
Spray Adhesive/Other Adhesive
Rubberized Shelf/Toolbox Liner (cushioning kind)
.75" Screws (32)
Pairs of Pliers (2)
#10 Eye Screws (2)
Clothes Pins/Mini Clamps (20-30)
Ratchet Bar Clamp (2)<
Safety Pins (30)
Ponytail Holders (30)
1. (Optional) Seal the Wood by using stain & polyurethane on each wooden piece on all sides.
2. Create the Grip Surface. Trace the outline of the 36" board onto the rubberized liner twice. Cut out these pieces. Mask off the edges of both 36"boards. Spray the adhesive to coat one side of the 36" boards and then cut liner. Wait until the adhesive has become tacky and press the liner into place on each board. Remove the masking tape.
3. Create the U-Shape. Collect the 24" pieces, L brackets/flat brackets and .75" screws. Position one 24" board between the other two to create a U-shape. Screw two L brackets/flat brackets to bridge each joint.
4. Create the Counter Lip.Center one of the 36" boards across the top of the U (make sure that the liner is opposite the U). Use two corner brackets to secure the 36" board to each leg of the U-shape.
5. Add the Movable Sealing Bar. Find the fuzzy side of the Velcro. Cut the fuzzy Velcro into two 24" pieces. Affix this to the front sides of the U-shape. Affix the hook side of the Velcro to the slat piece at either end. Press the bar onto the U at the desired height.
6. (Optional) – Add Modification Strap. Drill a pilot hole in the center of each end of the 36" board that is attached to the lower U-shape. Screw in each #10 eye screw. Use pliers to open the eye screw far enough to insert the bungee cord before the hook end. Use the pliers to close the eye screw and lock in the bungee.
7. Secure the dreadloom to your workspace with the ratchet bar clamps.
Download PDF instructions here!